Wednesday, November 10, 2010

52 inch television...

I've been so excited about having this blog, for the last two days I have been thinking nonstop about what I could write about. I was thinking I could write about the people that I work with, and how simple they are. Then I thought  about listing some of my favorite things (thanks Jen for that idea), then I thought I could write about my uniform (I know its weird but that thing has its own identity). But, as I am sitting here thinking about what to put on this blog, I look across the room at the 52" television (yes, its huge!) where my husband and sons are glued (literally) to the TV playing Call of Duty-Black Ops then it hits me...this is what I am going to write about, I hardly ever get to watch what I want to watch. Bear and the kids dominate my television viewing choices or lack thereof.

See, if I want to watch TV I go either into the living room or in the sunroom.  But, the sunroom is for Grace. That is her TV/playroom, so if I'm in the sunroom I'm watching one of her shows. I could put a TV in our room, since my options are limited in other rooms, but I am adamant that we not have one in there (its supposed to help us communicate more, plus he likes to sleep with the TV on and I don't, but I digress...).

Saturday through Monday is dedicated to football (I don't really mind because I love football) college or professional games until 7 or 8pm, then highlights until "we" fall asleep.  Tuesday through Friday we watch ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNU, and the NFL network (Bear is discovering Spike TV, which is a male dominated channel, go figure).  When Bear isn't home, the TV is turned to Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., the Disney Channel, or the Cartoon Network.  I do at times get to watch what I want...but there are conditions that must exist for this to happen. One, the kids have to be asleep. If I am sitting watching something, the kids will either start fighting, start snitching on each other, Chance will remember to practice his sax (the devil's whistle), or one of the boys has an "informative" yet totally useless fact/comment that MUST be shared with me and me only or the earth will stop spinning. Two, Bear has to either be out of the house, cannot find the remote, be doing homework in another room, or he's fallen asleep on the sofa. If the latter happens I usually try to ease the remote out of his death grip, if he doest wake up then I'm golden. If he does wake up, I get a look like I'm trying to steal his wallet. After I get his dirty looks he'll readjust his position then start flipping channels until he falls back asleep.
 
Then there are the times that I get really lucky, everyone will be off doing whatever they do in other parts of the house or outside playing. I'll catch an episode or a movie that I have been wanting to watch, I'll get a snack, a beverage, get settled in and prepared to be entertained. Some times I can sit for hours uninterrupted and there are other days that I dont get so lucky. On those days Bear will come in, he'll ask what I'm watching and if its good, I usually respond in the affirmative. He'll sit down get comfy next to me, pretend to be interested, then when I'm not looking his hand will creep over to the remote, where he'll pick it up, caress it or just hold it, and then when I least expect it he'll change the channel...to ESPN. *sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment